We are a non-profit association that began in 1976 and we have been recognized as a Society since late 1980. Our members represent the countries of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden.
Our goal is to develop interest in, and knowledge of, the culture, customs and traditions of the Scandinavian countries in Nova Scotia.
What we do:
• We provide assistance to Scandinavians who are new to Nova Scotia and to secondary and post-secondary Scandinavian students who are studying in Nova Scotia.
• We can provide assistance with language interpretation.
• We provide information for student projects to educate students about Scandinavia and Scandinavian life.
• Sponsor activities that promote and teach about Scandinavian life.
• Sponsor a number of cultural groups and cultural events such as the visit of the "Islendingur" Viking ship to the Halifax waterfront in August, 2000.
• Produce a quarterly newsletter for members.
If you have any questions, submissions or suggestions for items that we can include on our Scandinavian resource pages, click the Contact US link at the top of the page.
We produced a cookbook available for purchase at $15 each. "Vikings in the Kitchen" has wonderful tried and true favourite Scandinavian recipies. If you would like to purchase a copy, please contact us.